Friday, April 06, 2012

Rant!

So I've been doing a lot of writing... and a lot of reading. And I really really have to do a hands-up-in-the-air waving yelling rant so that I can go back to sane.

Why are American publishers so darned lazy? Why do they publish books with such poor grammar and pathetic spelling? Do they leave big words in the text, irrespective of their meaning, simply because they look impressive?

I get that in America mold means mould and is not a fungal growth. So when I read about a 16 year old growing up and breaking out of her "small town Christian mold" I might snicker to myself, but I understand that it's the vernacular that fails not the publisher. And fine, the extra vowel a or o thing is confusing so I'll let esthetic go even if it looks wrong, and admit that I find esophagus not so hard to swallow. I even grudgingly accept that they are too lazy to learn extra words (shone, lit, thrice) and let shined, lighted and three times be.

But I find the following sentences are worthy of a go straight to hell do not pass go do not collect mineral water card.
"Butterflies assaulted my stomach." (With what? Teeny tiny machine guns?)
"I ran out to the car and slung open the door." (Slung the car door where? Over your shoulder?)
"I never use to feel that way." (Dude. Everyone uses to feel that way.)

And final prize for terrible thought and editing:
Why would you name your brooding, mysterious, dark hoodie clad hero Dank???

No comments: